Monday, March 10, 2014

Chess- Losing is fun

I got into chess around last October with my friend Blake- he was the one who encouraged me to play. I knew how to play (save for the then weird en passant rule), but it had been so long since I played my last game. I was a little scared to, wavering and saying things like "Oh, but I'm not good" and "I'm going to get destroyed" but he convinced me anyway. If anything, I could watch other matches and nod my head at things I didn't understand.

And I did get destroyed the first couple of times around. 

But rather than reveling in shame or being embarrassed, I realized that I had learned a lot more in that one match. This is why you don't play that move, this is why that opening doesn't work, here are the things you should try for- and on and on. The amount of things to learn was intoxicating.

Looking back now, and seeing all the things I've learned, it's amazing. Sure, I don't know most of the openers and still struggle with most, but I've come to sink a lot of time into just playing chess. Just playing. Blake and I would just meet up and play chess, for hours at a time, figuring out what worked and what didn't.

And it was fun. Really, it was.

From learning overarching tips to finding chess tactics, Blake and I just had a great time. And of course it wasn't all just chess; it's sort of our excuse to just mull around and chew fat. We'd just spend time together figuring out positions, what kind of responses existed, and how insane grand master chess players like Tal were.

I used to be scared of losing. I'm gonna look stupid; look at all these people who know what they're doing. Really though, the most fun in chess comes from fumbling around the board and losing. It's the best way to learn things: losing. You don't have anyone to blame but you, and that's a sign that you can always do better.

I wanted to write about this because of my friends who are just afraid of playing competitive games in general. I don't know how to play. I'll never be good at it. Even if I read up on the material, I'll play badly and I know it.

You have to put your pride past you- it doesn't matter if you lose. Take every loss as a chance for personal growth. The second you make it a mandate to win, the fun aspect of it leaves. Even if you do manage to read up on the topic and study it, you'll never get better if you don't play. Everything is about your attitude and willingness to learn. You have to be able to get past your initial doubts and fears.

And in the end, if you decide you don't like the game, that's that. You gave it an honest try and didn't like it- that's fine. But don't count yourself or the game out before you do give that honest try.

So get out there and play. It won't hurt you, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment